How To Make Greek Moussaka Akis Petretzikis
Greek Moussaka Akis Petretzikis
The wonderful Akis Petretzikis has a fantastic moussaka recipe using baked vegetables instead of fried to make it that little bit lighter. Delicious layers of potato, aubergine, courgette and beef, all topped off with a creamy béchamel sauce and a handful of parmesan.
The perfect tasty teatime treat.
- Place a deep pan over high heat. Add the sunflower oil and let it get hot.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin rounds.
- Slice the eggplants and zucchini into thin rounds and fry in a separate pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a baking pan lined with paper towels. Allow to drain from excess oil.
For the ground meat
- Place a pot over high heat and add the olive oil.
- Coarsely chop the onion and add to pan.
- Finely chop the garlic and add to pan along with thyme, cloves, cinnamon and sugar. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they caramelize nicely.
- Add the ground meat and break it up with a wooden spoon. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add the tomato paste and sauté so that it loses its bitterness.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, lower heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and add the parsley and coarsely chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper.
For the béchamel sauce
- Place a pot over medium heat.
- Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add the flour and whisk until it soaks up all of the butter.
- Add the milk in small batches while continuously whisking so that no lumps form.
- As soon as the béchamel sauce thickens and bubbles start to form on the surface, remove from heat.
- Add the nutmeg, salt, pepper, 100 g parmesan and 3 egg yolks. Whisk thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- In a 25×32 cm baking pan, spread a layer of potatoes, cover with a layer of eggplants and top with a layer of zucchini. Season in between layers.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of béchamel sauce to the ground meat mixture and mix. Spread the ground meat over the vegetables.
- Cover with the béchamel sauce, spreading it evenly and sprinkle with 50 g of grated parmesan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with fresh herbs and olive oil.
Credit – Edited & directed by Pelivanidis Leonidas
For more nutrition info, click here: http://jamieol.com/D3JimM
Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube | http://jamieol.com/M2xkcF
Subscribe to Food Tube | http://jamieol.com/kLO4Xo
Jamie’s Recipes App | http://jamieol.com/E0TVBd
Facebook | http://jamieol.com/sZmG6S
More great recipes | http://www.jamieoliver.com
#FOODTUBE #food #diet
Follow Us For Daily New Posts